The European Association of Remote Sensing Companies (EARSC) is a professional industrial body (trade association) with the mission to foster growth of the Earth-observation (EO) services sector.
Formed in 1989, we are a Brussels-based, non-profit-making organisation, with members from throughout Europe, actively involved in coordinating and strengthening the EO chain and promoting the European geo-information industry. We have a small secretariat based in Brussels, a board of directors to oversee the activities and determine the strategy of the Association and working groups that deal with specific topics.
EARSC is open to full and observer members with an interest in using or providing services delivering information based on observations of the Earth and its environment from any platform; satellite, aircraft or UAV.
The full members of EARSC are companies supplying services in the growing market for the exploitation of EO data. Their main activities are acquiring and supplying data from satellite or airborne platforms and /or their conversion into geo-information products suitable and accessible for their clients.
Observer members can be any other organisation in Europe or world-wide with an interest in Earth Observation and a wish to become a member of and follow the activities of the EARSC Community.
The Association maintains close links with key European Institutions, including the European Commission, European Parliament, European Environment Agency and other agencies, Eumetsat, the European and National Space Agencies, as well as global bodies such as GEO (Group on Earth Observations), providing a unified voice on wider European and global issues of importance to the industrial sector.
EARSC also maintains connections with a number of other umbrella organisations at European and National levels. We work with Eurogi (as an observer member), Eurisy, Eurospace, NEREUS in Brussels and with National Associations where they exist. Where no national association exists we sometimes also act on behalf of a national cluster of companies to help them with national policy, strategies and networking.
- Association of corporate and observer members: the collective voice of the Earth Observation Industry
- Focus is on promoting the use of earth observation: increasing the profile of its members.
- Fosters dialogue between EARSC members, decision makers and users
- Provides technical expertise and policy guidance
- Promotes EO industry within European bodies
Our VISION is a sustainable market for geo-information services, using remote sensing data, which is openly accessible to all members.
To achieve this we will focus on:
- Customer awareness and acceptance of Earth observation and remote sensing
- Improving Market access for our members
EARSC is a non-profit-making organisation created in 1989. For 30 years EARSC has been one of the principal voices of European Remote Sensing Industry devoted to continuing contributions and leadership in the earth observation community.
Nowadays, EARSC is embarking on a new strategy of Earth observation awareness and raising to industry the importance of working together for a better future. It is definitively becoming a real point of contact for Earth Observation Industry in Europe.
EARSC is devoted to promoting the European remote sensing sector applied to Earth Observation and the understanding of our Planet, for Society benefits.
Specific objectives for EARSC are:
- To promote the interests of, and co-operation between, European geo-information companies;
- To make users aware of the benefits of remote sensing techniques and the products and services available from its members;
- To provide its members with information on the development of the geo-information market;
- To ensure that its members’ views are represented in national and international fora and initiatives in the field;
- To give advice and assistance on remote sensing issues to funding and executing agencies.